Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Book review: THE LOVE LINE, by Heidi McLaughlin

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Yikes, I had no idea this book was connected to the Beaumont series. I read some of those books ages ago and remember absolutely nothing, so I went in completely blind. And honestly? It didn’t matter one bit. I was fascinated from the first chapter. The writing is smooth, entertaining, and full of heart.

Liam has been a rockstar for about thirty years, and now in his fifties, he and his bandmates JD and Harrison are feeling the wear and tear. The last tour had half‑filled venues, their bodies are creaky, and Liam just wants to be home with his wife and his grandbabies. Once he’s finally back, the guys start talking about retirement — and each of them has a beautiful reason to stay put for a while. Liam’s grandbabies are almost one, JD’s daughter is training for the Olympics, Harrison has a little boy he wants to enjoy. It’s sweet, grounded, and very real.


Then comes the twist: a producer from New York offers Liam a radio talk show where he gives advice to callers. At first he rejects it like a big “absolutely not,” but Bex, the producer, doesn’t give up. Two days later, Liam calls her back… and suddenly The Love Line with Liam is born.


The talk‑show sections were my favorite. It felt like a modern, heartfelt version of Dear Abby — direct, honest, and full of interesting situations. I could’ve read a whole giant book just of the call‑ins. They were that entertaining.


Of course, the show brings up old wounds, especially Liam’s estranged and abusive father. There’s no forgiveness there, but the emotional weight is handled with care, and you really feel Liam trying to make sense of it.


I loved all the family moments — the sons, daughters, grandbabies, the closeness between Josie and Liam. Beaumont feels like a small town full of love and community, and Liam and Josie have poured so much into making it a beautiful place to raise families. Now… I do need a family tree because there are marriages between bandmates’ kids, twins everywhere, triplets, babies popping out like popcorn. I loved the chaos but could not keep them straight.


The book ends with one issue resolved, but another problem from the radio listeners still hanging in the air. So I have a feeling this story will continue, and I will be waiting with excitement.


A heartfelt, entertaining, comforting read, completely enchanting. Five stars, easily.


Purchase links 


https://geni.us/theloveline 



About the author 


Heidi McLaughlin is a New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Bestselling author of The Beaumont Series, The Boys of Summer, and The Archers.


In 2012, Heidi turned her passion for reading into a full-fledged literary career, writing over twenty novels, including the acclaimed Forever My Girl.


Heidi’s first novel, Forever My Girl, has been adapted into a motion picture with LD Entertainment and Roadside Attractions, starring Alex Roe and Jessica Rothe, and opened in theaters on January 19, 2018, and is now available on DVD & Digital.


Connect with Heidi McLaughlin:

https://www.instagram.com/heidimclaughlinauthor/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book review: THE LOVE LINE, by Heidi McLaughlin

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Yikes, I had no idea this book was connected to the Beaumont series. I read some of those books ages ago and remember absolutely ...